Cannondale’s duo defeats Kona’s twin towers for the second time in as many days
Tim Johnson and Jeremy Powers of Cannondale-cyclocrossworld.com played the numbers on Kona’s Ryan Trebon at Sunday’s Rad Racing GP in Tacoma, Washington, with Johnson coming away with the win in a two-up sprint. Wendy Simms (Kona) won the women’s race after dropping Sue Butler (Monavie-Cannondale.com) in the final lap.
The cyclocross race followed Saturday’s nearby Star Crossed event in which Powers was able to get the better of Trebon after the Kona rider crashed in the last lap.
At Rad Racing, an initial selection of five men went clear — Johnson, Powers, Trebon, Andy Jacques-Maynes (California Giant Strawberry) and Joachim Parbo (Leopard Cycles). Trebon said that once the split was established, “nobody was working,” so he gassed it, dropping Jacques-Maynes and Parbo.
Rad Racing features a brutal 80 meter-long run-up section, where Trebon saw Powers was struggling a bit. With four laps to go — and two teammates marking him — Trebon attacked the run-up. Sure enough, Powers came off. But Johnson clung tenaciously to Trebon’s wheel.
Behind, Powers dangled a few seconds back for the rest of the race, allowing Johnson to sit on Trebon. Trebon’s teammate Barry Wicks was present in the race, but didn’t figure into the front end of the action.
Trebon led the last three laps. He kept trying in vain to shake Johnson. In the final sprint, Trebon led it out, and Johnson came around for the win.
After the finish, Johnson said he was a little surprised. “This is the third time in my career I’ve won a race in a sprint,” he said.
For his part, Trebon said his legs just gave out at the end.
In the women’s race, Butler and Simms went clear together early, as they had done the night before at Star Crossed. On the steep run-up, Simms gassed it and held her advantage to the line.
Amy Dombroski (Velo Bella) took the sprint for third.
1. Wendy Simms (CAN) Kona in 0:40:49
2. Susan Butler (USA) Monaviecannondale.com in 0:40:55
3. Amy Dombroski (USA) Velo Bella – Kona in 0:42:04
4. Wendy Williams (USA) River City Bicycle Team in 0:42:06
5. Sarah Kerlin (USA) Hrs /rock Lobster in 0:42:36
6. Emily Van Meter (USA) River City Bicycles in 0:42:46
7. Rhonda Mazza (USA) Team S&m in 0:43:08
8. Dawn Anderson (CAN) Everti/ Oak Bay Bikes in 0:43:08
9. Sarah Stewart (CAN) Total Restoratoin in 0:43:08
10. Josie Jacques-maynes (USA) Specialized/kmc Pb Cal Giant in 0:43:10
12. Kathy Sherwin (USA) Velo Bella – Kona in 0:43:54
13. Ann Knapp (USA) Kona in 0:44:26
14. Kristi Berg (USA) Redline Bicycles in 0:44:38
15. Ingrid Spies (USA) Recycled Cycles in 0:44:55
16. Jenni Gaertner (USA) Bob’s-Bicycles.com in 0:45:02
17. Shannon Gibson (USA) Velobella in 0:45:11
18. Jaymie Mcgowan (CAN) Oak Bay Bikes in 0:45:13
19. Jadine Riley (GBR) Team Group Health in 0:46:15
20. Allison Beall (USA) Vanderkitten in 0:47:46
21. Coryn Rivera (USA) Team Redline in 0:49:11
1. Timothy Johnson (USA) Cannondale/cyclocrossworld.com in 0:57:06
2. Ryan Trebon (USA) Kona
3. Jeremy Powers (USA) Cannondale/cyclocrossworld.com in 0:57:47
4. Joachim Parbo (DEN) Ccv Leopard Cycles in 0:58:07
5. Andy Jacques-maynes (USA) Specialized/kmc Pb Cal Giant in 0:58:07
6. Barry Wicks (USA) Kona in 0:59:22
7. Russell Stevenson (USA) Benaroya Research Institute Cycling Team in 0:59:32
8. Todd Wells (USA) Team Gt in 0:59:33
9. Bart Gillespie (USA) Monaviecannondale.com in 0:59:33
10. Justin Robinson (USA) California Giant Berry Farms/specialized in 0:59:33
11. Eric Tonkin (USA) Kona in 0:59:43
12. Kevin Bradford-parish (USA) Redlinebikes.com in 0:59:52
13. Shannon Skerritt (USA) Vanilla Bicycles in 1:01:01
14. Solomon Woras (USA) Vanilla in 1:01:28
15. Kevin Noiles (CAN) Trek Red Truck Racing in 1:01:28
16. Sean Worsech (USA) Rad Racing in 1:02:21
17. Troy Wells (USA) Team Clif Bar in 1:02:24
18. Chris Sneddon (CAN) Kona in 1:02:43
19. Steve Fisher (USA) Rad Racing/hagens Berman in 1:03:16
20. Craig Richey (CAN) Team Aviawest – Van Dessel in 1:03:51
21. Joshua Berry (USA) in 1:04:22
22. Matthew Wills (USA) Veloshop in 1:04:34
23. Jake Wells (USA) Mafiaracing.com in 1:04:58
24. Jeremy Ferguson (USA) California Giant Berry Farms/specialized in 1:05:25
25. David Yeater (USA) River City Bicycles in -1lp
26. John-christian Flack (USA) The Valley Athletic Club in -1lp
27. Jesse Giordano (USA) Nob Hill Velo in -1lp
28. Chris Parrish (USA) Hagens Berman in -1lp
29. Travis Mcmaster (USA) Mafiaracing.com in -2lps
30. Kevin Thorpe (CAN) Trek Red Truck Racing P/b Mosaic Homes in -2lps