USA Cycling’s National Racing Calendar (NRC) kicked off last weekend with the Redlands Bicycle Classic in California. The four-day stage race featured a time trial, circuit race, criterium, and road race, and attracted the top professional men’s and women’s teams from around the nation.
Australian Ben Day (Fly Australia) beat out the rest of the elite men’s field for the individual GC. With one stage win in the time trial prologue, he finished ahead of Ben Jacques-Maynes (Bissell Pro Cycling) and Will Routley (Jelly Belly p/b Kenda) in the overall.
In the women’s competition, Ina-Yoko Teutenberg (HTC-Columbia) grabbed a stage win and the overall victory ahead of Katharine Carroll (Peanut Butter & Co Twenty 12) and Alexis Rhodes (Vera Bradley Foundation).
With the first event on the NRC calendar in the books, Day and Teutenberg have taken the early leads in the standings with 298 and 304 points respectively. Jelly Belly p/b Kenda sits atop the elite men’s team standings with 448 points and HTC Columbia leads the women’s team standings with 488 points.
After one event, the USA Cycling National Racing Calendar standings are as follows:
Men’s Individual Standings
1. Benjamin Day (Fly Australia), 298
2. Ben Jacques-Maynes (Bissell Pro Cycling), 185
3. Will Routley (Jelly Belly p/b Kenda), 162
4. Kiel Reijnen (Jelly Belly p/b Kenda), 136
5. Carter Jones (Jelly Belly p/b Kenda), 130
Men’s Team Standings
1. Jelly Belly p/b Kenda, 448
2. Bissell Pro Cycling, 383
3. Fly V Australia, 338
4. UnitedHealthCare p/b Maxxis, 217
5. Jamis Sutter Home/Colavita, 210
Women’s Individual Standings
1. Ina-Yoko Teutenberg (HTC-Columbia), 304
2. Amber Neben (Dare to Be-BMW-Bianchi), 175
3. Katharine Carroll (Peanut Butter & Co Twenty 12), 165
4. Evelyn Stevens (HTC Columbia), 155
5. Alexis Rhodes (Vera Bradley Foundation), 132
Women’s Team Standings
1. HTC Columbia, 488
2. Team Vera Bradley Foundation, 316
3. Peanut Butter & Co. Twenty 12, 304
4. Tibco/To the Top Pro Cycling, 260
5. Dare to be-BMW-Bianchi, 175