Vacansoleil’s Romain Feillu won the second stage of the Tour de l’Ain on Thursday, a 138.8km race from Villars-les-Dombes to Trevoux to confirm his hold on the overall leader’s jersey.
A winner of a stage in the Tour de Burgos last week, Feillu had taken over the race lead on Wednesday when he was second on the opening stage behind Stephane Poulhies.
Feillu took victory on Thursday, getting the better of Steve Chainel in a sprint finish by just one second. American John Murphy of BMC was fifth, in the same time as Chainel. Tejay Van Garderen (HTC-Columbia) is the best placed American overall, in ninth, 17 seconds behind Feillu.
- 1. Romain FEILLU, (France) Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team, in 6:27:43
- 2. Tony GALLOPIN, (France) Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne, at 12
- 3. Haimar ZUBELDIA AGIRRE, (Spain) Team RadioShack, at 15
- 4. Wilco KELDERMAN, (Netherlands) Rabobank, at 15
- 5. Greg VAN AVERMAET, (Belgium) Omega Pharma-Lotto, at 16