Menu

Contador says he won’t comment further on doping allegations

  • By VeloNews.com
  • Published Oct. 6, 2010

Beleaguered Tour de France champion Alberto Contador says he will no longer make public comments until the UCI reaches a decision on pending doping allegations against him.

Contador is under growing media scrutiny since it was revealed he tested positive for minute traces of clenbuterol that were discovered during rest-day controls ahead of the decisive climbing at the Tourmalet.

Several media outlets, including The New York Times, are reporting there is further evidence that Contador may have re-injected his own blood.

Contador’s brother, Fran, who also acts as his manager, said the Spanish rider he will not react to every new development as the media follows up leads on his claims that it was contaminated meat that triggered his positive doping test.

“The damage is already done,” Fran Contador told the Spanish wires, reacting to latest allegations leveled by the New York Times that Contador injected blood. “Alberto is very tired and very disappointed about all that’s happened.”

Contador held a press conference last week and then made the rounds among Spanish media last weekend stating his side of the story. He continues to claim that the traces of clenbuterol discovered in the anti-doping controls come from steaks that he said were brought to France from Spain.

Since then, there’s been a growing number of media reports that Contador may have undergone banned blood transfusions.

“There’s a feeling of tremendous impotence because the only thing you can do is give your version of the story, which we’ve already done, and wait until a decision is made,” Fran Contador said. “We hope it will be the right decision, because as Alberto said in his press conference, this will be like taking someone to the electric chair who’s done nothing at all.”

The UCI, meanwhile, has remained mum since the news of the positive test was released last week. They said the case deserves more investigation and is awaiting a report from WADA before taking possible disciplinary actions against Contador.

Contador could face a two-year ban and disqualification from the 2010 Tour de France. Contador has hinted he would never race his bike again if he loses his Tour crown.

FILED UNDER: News / Tour de France TAGS: / /

Stay Up to Date on Everything Cycling

Subscribe to the FREE VeloNews weekly newsletter