Menu

Contador threatens legal action against media outlets

  • By VeloNews.com
  • Published Oct. 8, 2010

Alberto Contador says he’s not going to take it anymore and has moved to legally challenge media outlets for “absolute lack of veracity.”

The beleaguered Tour de France champion has become the target of media attacks over allegations that he may have injected his own blood to trigger a positive test for trace amounts of clenbuterol.

Contador has vehemently denied any suggestions of doping and says the minute traces of the banned drug come from contaminated steaks he ate ahead of anti-doping controls on the second rest day of the 2010 Tour. The most recent story came from the a Belgian site which published an interview with an unnamed figure “very close to the Astana team,” alleging that Contador had been storing blood in advance of the Tour.

Contador released a statement Friday saying his legal team is moving forward with law suits against unnamed media outlets.

Here is the full extract of Contador’s statement:

“The legal team of Alberto Contador will take legal actions against defamatory information published so far by various media and websites, due to their absolute lack of veracity; additionally, they will proceed in the same way with any defamatory information that will be published in the future,” the statement read.

“Alberto Contador radically denies the veracity of the information published by some media and reaffirms his innocence, as proved by all scientific reports provided to the UCI that were made available to the public, and as confirmed by his biological passport.

“Alberto Contador reiterates that the clenbuterol found in the analysis of the last Tour de France was solely caused by food contamination and in no case has resorted to an autologous or any other method of doping.

“Finally, the rider asks the sport authorities and especially the ICU, to provide a quick resolution of this case, as this is the best way to end the speculations and the publication of false and defamatory news about his person.”

Contador could face a two-year ban and disqualification from the 2010 Tour. He has hinted he would quit cycling if he was delivered a ban.

FILED UNDER: News / Tour de France TAGS: /

Stay Up to Date on Everything Cycling

Subscribe to the FREE VeloNews newsletter