Christian Prudhomme hopes that the Alberto Contador doping case is settled one way or another before the start of the 2011 Tour de France.
The Tour race director voiced his concern about the ongoing delays of Contador’s case and expressed his desire that the case is resolved soon.
“I hope that an answer come soon, as quickly as possible,” Prudhomme told journalists Wednesday in Spain. “The Spanish federation and the UCI should decide before the season starts. It has been many months already. We hope they reach a decision soon.”
Prudhomme was in Alicante on Wednesday for the unveiling of the route of the 2011 Vuelta a España.
Contador — who is facing a possible two-year ban and the disqualification of his 2010 Tour crown after testing positive for clenbuterol during last year’s Tour – did not attend the Vuelta ceremony.
Earlier this week in an interview with Reuters, UCI chief Pat McQuaid said it could be likely that Contador will not race this year’s Tour, suggesting that the case could drag on for months.
“It’s not a good place to be for Contador at the moment,” McQuaid told Reuters. “We assume that it’s a possibility that he will not be at the Tour de France.”
Tour officials are hoping that the Contador case is resolved well ahead of the start of the 2011 edition which starts July 2 on the Passage du Gois.
On the Vuelta, Prudhomme said he was impressed during the unveiling of the 21-stage route that begins August 20 in Benidorm with a team time trial.
“It seems like a very interesting route, with the mountain-top finishes well-distanced and great finales that guarantee excitement in every stage,” he said. “Just like last year, it won’t be decided until the final kilometer.”