Ryan Trebon (Kona-FSA) has withdrawn his name from the U.S. elite men’s team for the cyclocross world championships. Trebon fell ill during a recent trip to California for training and informed USAC cyclocross program manager Marc Gullickson on Thursday that he would not join the team in St. Wendel, Germany, next week. Trebon’s absence means that just four Americans will line up for the elite men’s race January 30.
“For about nine days now I haven’t been feeling that well,” Trebon told VeloNews. “I went down to California for two days and I’ve just been nauseous with zero energy. It’s just been my stomach. I haven’t really been eating much at all.”
Trebon was nominated to the team on January 14 by the 12-member USAC selection committee responsible for discretionary picks. He informed Gullickson earlier this week that he was considering sitting out what would have been his fifth ’cross world championships.
“I called Gulli’ and told him I didn’t know and I was going to wait until Thursday to decide what I’m doing, to see if I felt any better,” said Trebon. “I wanted to give them time in case somebody else wanted to go.”
When Thursday came and his condition had not improved, Trebon pulled the plug on what he described as a “disappointing end to the season.” The former national champion recovered from an early crash to finish second at nationals before registering a handful of forgettable results in Europe during the Christmas week races.
Registration closed Friday at 12:00 p.m. CET and according to USAC communications director Andrea Smith, an alternate was not added to the team’s roster due to difficulties in getting a new rider “registered, transported and ready to race.”