The USA CRITS Championship Series is on the rise in 2011. The series will roll out in Athens, Georgia, in April and will include ten men’s and eight women’s events, up from eight and five a year ago, respectively. Isaac Howe (Mountain Khakis-Jittery Joe’s) and Erica Allar (Vera Bradley Foundation) won the series overall titles in 2010.
The 32nd Annual Terrapin Twilight Criterium in Athens will open the fifth edition of the series, which features a mix of classic and new criteriums across the United States. Five months of racing will wrap up at the Capital Criterium presented by Washington Convention and Sports Authority in Washington, D.C., on October 2.
The USA CRITS series has for half a decade served as a proving ground for developing and seasoned criterium riders in the States. Former overall winners include Tina Pic, Laura Van Gilder and Mark Hekman.
2011 USA CRITS
- April 30 Terrapin Twilight Criterium – Athens, Ga.
- May 14 Tour de Grove – St. Louis, Mo.
- June 18 Giro d’Grafton – Grafton, Wis.
- June 25 Hyde Park Blast – Cincinnati, Ohio
- July 9 Iron Hill Twilight Criterium – West Chester, Penn.
- July 16 Boise Twilight Criterium – Boise, Idaho
- July 30 Presbyterian Hospital Invitational – Charlotte, N.C.
- August 21 Evanston Grand Prix – Evanston, Ill.
- August 27-28 Chris Thater Memorial – Binghamton, N.Y.
- October 2 Capital Criterium – Washington, D.C.