Emma Pooley (Garmin-Cervélo) rode alone for 69km to win the kickoff to the 2011 UCI women’s World Cup on Sunday.
The world champion time trial champion won the 13th running of the Trofeo Alfredo Binda in Cittiglio with time to spare, finishing more than 90 seconds ahead of runner-up Emma Johansson (Hitec), who took the field sprint. Annemiek Van Vleuten (Netherlands) crossed third.
The course consisted of one large 60km lap and four smaller laps of 15km, each of which featured a climb of 2-3km.
Shelley Olds (Diadora Pasta Zara) was the top American, finishing fifth.
- 1. Emma Pooley (Gbr), Garmin-Cervélo, 3:08:17
- 2. Emma Johansson (Swe), Team Hitec Products Uck, at 1:32
- 3. Annemiek Van Vleuten (Ned), Netherlands, at 1:32
- 4. Martine Bras (Ned), Dolmans Landscaping, at 1:32
- 5. Shelley Olds (USA), Diadora Pasta Zara, at 1:32