PARIS (AFP) – Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme said Thursday he wants a swift end to the saga surrounding three-time champion Alberto Contador after cycling’s governing body revived a doping case against him, despite the Spaniard’s acquittal by his own federation.
“What concerns us is that there should be a line drawn under this affair and a definitive decision taken,” said Prudhomme after the UCI decided to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport against the Spanish Cycling Federation’s finding that the rider did not deliberately take a banned substance.
The Spanish body acquitted Contador after he had tested positive for banned substance clenbuterol during an in-competition test carried out on July 21 last year, during the Tour.
“CAS is sport’s highest jurisdiction. We do not want a response but the response — we have waited too long,” said Prudhomme.