ROOS, Luxembourg (AFP) – Sky’s Davide Appollonio the third stage of the Tour of Luxembourg on Saturday, a 185km run between Eschweiler and Roos while German Linus Gerdemann (Leopard-Trek) retained the overall lead.
The Italian sprinter benefited from a well-coordinated lead-out by his team and fended off a late surge by Denis Galimzyanov (Katusha) and Mickael Delage (FDJ) to take the win.
Appollonio found himself in an embarrassing spot right after the win as he crashed into a barrier just past the line although he suffered no injuries to anything but his pride.
“I’m so happy to get my first victory this year for the team. I’ve had a few seconds and thirds so I was really hoping for a win and today it happened,” said Appollonio, who finished second to Mark Cavendish in the 12th stage of the Giro d’Italia last month.
“After the Giro I had a little bit of a rest afterwards but I kept my condition and then the team called me into the Luxembourg squad,” Appollonio said. “I’m just happy to be able to reward their faith in me and tomorrow we’ll do everything we can to try and get the victory again.”
Sunday’s fourth and final stage is a 152.km ride from Mersch to Luxembourg city.
- 1. Davide Appollonio (ITA), Team Sky, 4:44:31
- 2. Denis Galimzyanov (RUS), Team Katusha, s.t.
- 3. Mickael Delage (FRA), Française des Jeux, s.t.
- 4. Romain Feillu (FRA), Vacansoleil-DCM, s.t.
- 5. Pieter Vanspeybrouck (BEL), Topsport Vlaanderen-Mercator, s.t.
- 1. Linus Gerdemann (Germany), Leopard-Trek, 14:53:26
- 2. Alexandre Geniez (France), Skil-Shimano, at 0:02
- 3. Tony Gallopin (France), Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne, at 0:03
- 4. Maxime Monfort (Belgium), Leopard-Trek, at 0:05
- 5. Mickael Delage (France), Française des Jeux, at 0:08