JJ Haedo (Saxo Bank-Sungard) bounded out of the pack to claim victory in Friday’s third stage at the Ster ZLM Toer in Holland.
Philippe Gilbert (Omega Pharma-Lotto) was on the attack, but the group was caught in the closing kilometers. Haedo darted out of the pack of sprinters in the challenging stage to claim his second win on the 2011 season.
“It was pure excellence from JJ’s side. It was so good seeing him in his right element unfolding his great talent,” said sport director Philippe Mauduit on the team’s site. “Naturally, we had hoped he would do well today but to actually see him pull it off like this is just fantastic. Before the finish, we had David (Tanner) in a break so it was a great day for us here in Holland.
The Argentine won the stage ahead of Giacomo Nizzolo (Leopard Trek) and Anthony Roux (FDJ). Tyler Farrar (Garmin-Cervelo), a winner in Thursday’s stage, finished in the main pack while Julian Dean was ninth.
Patrick Gretsch (HTC-Highroad) also finished with the lead group to retain his leader’s jersey. Farrar remains second at four seconds adrift.
- 1. Juan José HAEDO, (ARG) Saxobank-Sungard, in 5:12:01
- 2. Giacomo NIZZOLO, (ITA) Leopard-Trek, at s.t.
- 3. Anthony ROUX, (FRA) Fran�aise Des Jeux, at s.t.
- 4. Michael MATTHEWS, (AUS) Rabobank Cycling Team, at s.t.
- 5. Davide APPOLLONIO, (ITA) Team Sky, at s.t.
GC after stage 2
- 1. Patrick GRETSCH, (GER) HTC-Highroad, at 9:32:23
- 2. Tyler FARRAR, (USA) Garmin-Cervelo, at 4
- 3. Alex DOWSETT, (GBR) Team Sky, at 6
- 4. Anthony ROUX, (FRA) Fran�aise Des Jeux, at 6
- 5. Sebastian LANGEVELD, (NED) Rabobank Cycling Team, at 10