Tyler Farrar (Garmin-Cervélo) is back in the winner’s circle with a win Thursday in the second stage at the Ster ZLM Tour in Holland.
Farrar out-kicked Romain Feillu (Vacansoleil) in the 177km stage from Eindhoven to Sittard, with Adam Blythe (Omega-Pharma Lotto) crossing the line third.
Patrick Gretsch (HTC-Highroad) retained the overall lead, with teammate Alex Rasmussen in second at three seconds back and Farrar slotting into third at four seconds back.
The victory is Farrar’s fourth on the 2011 season. He won two stages at the Mallorca Challenge in February and a stage at Tirreno-Adriatico in March.
Farrar returned to competition at the Criterium du Dauphiné earlier this month following his early exit from the Giro d’Italia in early May in the wake of the tragic death of Wouter Weylandt. Weylandt was one of Farrar’s closest friends.
Farrar confirmed to Dutch reporters that he would be at the start of next month’s Tour de France, telling the Dutch website WielerFlits he will “be at the Tour.”
- 1. Tyler FARRAR, (USA) Garmin-Cervelo, at 4:11:52
- 2. Romain FEILLU, (FRA) Vacansoleil-Dcm, at s.t.
- 3. Adam BLYTH, (GBR) Omega Pharma-Lotto, at s.t.
- 4. Mark RENSHAW, (AUS) HTC-Highroad, at s.t.
- 5. Kenny Robert VAN HUMMEL, (NED) Skil-Shimano, at s.t.