If you are making the trip to Colorado for the USAPCC, you’ll want to get the biggest bang for your racing buck as you line the roads to watch cycling’s most elite riders. In an effort to help you with this, we take the 510 miles and distill them down to seven key places that are more than ideal for watching the inaugural Tour live.
Prologue, August 22: Garden of the Gods
Located in Colorado Springs, Garden of the Gods is one of the iconic natural areas in the state. Get to the park early to check out the latest Tour tech and watch the riders warm up for the prologue. At just five miles in length, it’s easy enough to walk or ride alongside the course to get a good feel for the entire stage. After the stage, head to the podium downtown to see the race’s first-ever leader’s jersey awarded.
- First rider starts at: 1:15 pm (MDT)
- Distance: 5.18 miles
- Total climb: 219 feet. Net loss: 367 feet.
- Estimated Finish: 3:45 pm (MDT)
- Start: Inside Garden of the Gods Park
- Finish: West Colorado Avenue and Cascade Avenue
- Downloads: Spectator Guide (pdf)
- TV: Versus Pre-show at 1:30 pm; Live Race at 2 pm; Post-show at 9 pm (MDT)
- VIDEO: Riding the prologue with VeloNews and Rapha Continental