Stage 2, August 24: Independence Pass
We could see one of two things on Independence Pass: massive time gaps as over-eager GC riders blow up or a conservative, marked ride to the summit. Either way, the energy on the pass will be incredible. Camping space is limited, so get there early – up to two days before the race – or ride up from Aspen the morning of. The final four miles of the climb are the most treacherous; it’s there that you’ll want to set up your waffle iron and mini-keg and pull on your ridiculous costume. You may not see the race winner on the front, but you’ll definitely see who won’t be wearing yellow in Denver.
- Start: 10 a.m. (MDT)
- Distance: 131.1 miles
- Total climb: 9,746 feet. Net gain: 195 feet.
- Estimated Finish: 3-4:15 pm (MDT)
- Start: East Virginia Avenue and Main Street, Gunnison
- Finish: Main Street at Galina Street, Aspen
- Downloads: Map (pdf) | Spectator guide (pdf)
- TV: Versus Pre-show at 1:30 pm; Live Race at 2 pm; Post-show at 9 pm (MDT)
- VIDEO: Riding stage 2 with VeloNews and Rapha Continental