BEND, Ore. (ST) — It was a day for the locals as Bend residents took stars and stripes jerseys in five of the 14 categories at the 2011 USA Cycling Mountain Bike Marathon National Championships. This included the men’s pro race, where Adam Craig (Bend, OR/ Rabobank-Giant Off-Road Team) edged teammates and fellow Bend resident, Carl Decker, by just 12 seconds. It was a different story in the women’s pro race as Pua Mata (Anaheim, CA/Team Sho-Air) rode away from the field to win by more than four minutes.
Craig and Decker rode together for the majority of the race, widening a gap from the rest of the field that ended up being more than 10 minutes at the finish line. The battle for third was taken in a sprint to the line by Sam Schultz (Missoula, MT/Subaru-Trek), who bested two-time defending champion Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski (Boulder, CO/Subaru-Trek) by just four seconds. For Craig it is his third national title of 2011; at the Mountain Bike Cross-country Nationals he won both the all-mountain title and the super D with Decker as runner-up. Craig is also the reigning singlespeed cyclo-cross national champion.
The top woman in this year’s Pro Ultra-Endurance Tour, Mata handily won the women’s pro title. Kelli Emmett (Colorado Springs, CO/ Giant Factory Off-Road Team) finished second, more than five minutes ahead of two-time defending champ Heather Irmiger (Boulder, CO/Subaru-Trek).
Age Group Winners
Partly sunny skies and temperatures in the high 50s to low 60s meant ideal racing weather for the more than 200 competitors. This proved to be a fortunate break for the riders, who had to contend with a tough 52-mile course that offered few places to relax and required an almost constant effort.
Convincing victories highlighted the 19-29 age groups, with Carson Miller (Bend, OR/Jelly Belly Presented By Kenda) earning the men’s title and Rose Grant (Kalispell, MT/Sportsman & Ski Haus) taking victory as well as the distinction of being the fastest non-professional female competitor.
Ty Kady (Brea, CA) won the 30-34 men’s race to claim his third Stars-and-Stripes jersey of 2011, which include wins in mountain bike cross-country and short track cross-country earned in Sun Valley, Idaho, this past July. Benjamin Thompson (Bend, OR) rode to victory in the men’s 35-39 race, while Lisa Curry (Bozeman, MT/ Gallatin Alpine Sports/Intrinsik Architecture Cycling Team) won the women’s 30-39 age group.
In the largest field of the event, Dario Fredrick (San Anselmo, CA/Whole Athlete-Specialized) bested 45 riders to become the new men’s 40-49 champion. Erika Krumpelman (Hayden, ID/Velo Bella) rode to the title in the women’s 40-49 race.
Scott Seaton (Bend, OR) 3:48:23 won one of the closer masters races of the day, taking the men’s 50-59 victory by less than a minute. On the women’s side of that age group, Muffy Ritz (Ketchum, ID/Mud Honey Cycling) took the top podium spot.
The only 2010 champion to successfully defend his title, Dwight Hibdon (Park City, UT/Mad Dog Cycles Race Team) rode to his second straight men’s 60+ stars and stripes jersey.
Cary Smith (Jackson, WY) earned his second singlespeed national championship of the year, adding to his mountain bike cross-country win in July. Alice Drobna (Bend, OR) donned the stars and stripes in the singlespeed women’s category.
Visit the official USA Cycling Mountain Bike Marathon National Championships webpage for more information, including complete results and a photo gallery.
1. Adam Craig (Bend, OR/ Rabobank-Giant Off-Road Team) 3:10:16
2. Carl Decker (Bend, OR/Giant Factory Off-Road Team) 3:10:28
3. Sam Schultz (Missoula, MT/Subaru-Trek) 3:20:50
4. Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski (Boulder, CO/Subaru-Trek) 3:20:54
5. Colin Cares (Boulder, CO/ Kenda/Felt) 3:21:18
1. Pua Mata (Anaheim, CA/Team Sho-Air) 3:38:58
2. Kelli Emmett (Colorado Springs, CO/ Giant Factory Off-Road Team) 3:43:28
3. Heather Irmiger (Boulder, CO/Subaru-Trek) 3:48:57
4. Amanda Carey (Victor, ID) 3:59:41
5. Jana Repulski (Boise, ID) 4:07:59
1. Carson Miller (Bend, OR/Jelly Belly Presented By Kenda) 3:31:12
2. Jafer Beizer (Conyers, GA/TBB Sports) 3:44:47
3. Connor McCutcheon (Bigbearlake, CA) 3:48:09
4. Michael Stearns (Bozeman, MT/Montana State University-Bozeman) 3:52:01
5. Matt Deshazo (Arcata, CA) 3:53:18
1. Rose Grant (Kalispell, MT/Sportsman & Ski Haus) 4:13:53
2. Holly Horner (Oviedo, FL) 5:08:45
3. Elizabeth Lee (Martinez, GA) 5:09:04
4. Petra Davis (Bozeman, MT) 5:30:00
5. Merrill Oakley (Spokane, WA) 6:05:10
1. Ty Kady (Brea, CA) 3:30:01
2. Marco Arocha (Newbury Park, CA/Team Velosport Club) 3:43:10
3. Casey Hill (Denver, CO) 3:44:41
4. Joel Shehan (Kalispell, MT/Sportsman & Ski Haus) 3:44:47
5. Shawn Rader (Hillsboro, OR) 3:47:55
1. Benjamin Thompson (Bend, OR) 3:32:58
2. Eric Bostrom (Las Vegas, NV) 3:39:46
3. Dustin Phillips (Kalispell, MT/Team Hammer Nutrition) 3:42:52
4. Oliver Hutchinson (West Hills, CA/ 8th Wonder Cycling/Team Helen’s) 3:43:45
5. Dan Ourada (Sunriver, OR) 3:54:28
1. Lisa Curry (Bozeman, MT/ Gallatin Alpine Sports/Intrinsik Architecture Cycling Team) 4:15:05
2. Jamie Busch (Los Gatos, CA) 4:21:58
3. Sarah Max (Bend, OR) 4:24:57
4. Elizabeth Carrington (Poway, CA) 4:44:53
5. Kellie Wirth (Boise, ID/Wild Rockies Inc) 4:47:22
1. Dario Fredrick (San Anselmo, CA/Whole Athlete-Specialized) 3:36:04
2. Ross Delaplane (Golden, CO/Feedback Sports Racing) 3:39:08
3. Donald Myrah (San Jose, CA) 3:40:08
4. Chuck Ross (Auburn, CA/ SHO-AIR/SERT) 3:40:30
5. Bruce Rogers (Bend, OR) 3:41:25
1. Erika Krumpelman (Hayden, ID/Velo Bella) 4:16:31
2. Heidi Volpe (Topanga, CA) 4:27:17
3. Karoline Droege (Ketchum, ID/Mud Honey Cycling) 4:30:31
4. Lynn Stott (Boise, ID/Wild Rockies Race Team) 4:36:58
5. Cherie Touchette (Bend, OR/ Webcyclery Racing/webcyclery.com) 4:38:36
1. Scott Seaton (Bend, OR) 3:48:23
2. Russell Kappius (Littleton, CO) 3:49:05
3. Mark Gouge (Colorado Springs, CO/ Justin’s/Titus Mountain Bike Team) 3:54:24
4. Timothy Wykle (Trinidad, CA) 4:02:43
5. Randy Beckner (Helena, MT/Montana Velo) 4:02:54
1. Muffy Ritz (Ketchum, ID/Mud Honey Cycling) 4:38:28
2. Lori Smith (Boise, ID/Wild Rockies Race Team) 4:43:31
3. Ellen Guthrie (Salt Lake City, UT/Revolution Cafe Rio) 4:46:59
4. Victoria Wiseman (Ketchum, ID/Mud Honey Cycling) 5:24:39
5. Sheli Thomas (Kalispell, MT/Flathead Cycling) 5:42:04
1. Dwight Hibdon (Park City, UT/Mad Dog Cycles Race Team) 4:18:17
2. Don Leet (Bend, OR/Bend Endurance Academy) 4:20:08
3. Dan Meyer (Lake Elmo, MN/Loon State Cyclists) 4:29:24
4. Gary Myers (Golden, CO) 4:43:04
5. Randy Bowman (Pleasanton, CA/ East Bay Cyclists/Infovista Cycling Team) 4:48:44
1. Alice Drobna (Bend, OR) 5:00:16
1. Cary Smith (Jackson, WY) 3:29:09
2. Evan Plews (Salem, OR) 3:30:35
3. Cody Peterson (Bend, OR) 3:36:00
4. Dax Massey (Boulder, CO/Honey Stinger) 3:40:56
5. Ryan Voss (Waterford, WI) 4:01:56