Teal Stetson-Lee (California Giant-Specialized) and U.S. national champion Todd Wells (Specialized) won round two of the three-race Jingle Cross Rock weekend on Saturday in Iowa.
Day two saw rain, and plenty of it — the course at the Johnson County Fairgrounds in Iowa City quickly became a quagmire that only the strong could survive (and even they needed an assist from the power washers).
The women managed only three laps of the sloppy 3.49km circuit. Stetson-Lee proved strongest, taking the victory in 36:20, 38 seconds ahead of teammate Meredith Miller and reversing their finishing order from Friday’s opener.
Susan Butler (Hudz Subaru) crossed third at 52 seconds, her second runner-up finish of the weekend.
In the six-lap men’s race, Wells got the muddy upper hand on Chris Jones, finishing in 1:02:56, 23 seconds ahead of the Rapha-Focus rider, who like Butler collected his second runner-up finish in Iowa.
Tristan Schouten (Cyclocrossracing.com) took the final spot on the podium at 31 seconds.
The Jingle Cross weekend concludes Sunday.
- 1. Todd Wells (USA), Specialized, 1:02:56
- 2. Christopher Jones (USA), Rapha-Focus, at 0:23
- 3. Tristan Schouten (USA), Cyclocrossracing.com-Blue, at 0:31
- 4. Troy Wells (USA), Team Clif Bar, at 0:54
- 5. Ben Berden (BEL), Ops Ale-Clement-Stoemper, at 2:22
- 1. Teal Stetson-Lee (USA), California Giant-Specialized, at 36:20
- 2. Meredith Miller (USA), California Giant-Specialized, at 0:38
- 3. Susan Butler (USA), Hudz Subaru, at 0:52
- 4. Maureen Bruno Roy (USA), Bob’s Red Mill-Seven Cycles, at 0:59
- 5. Amanda Carey (USA), Kenda-Felt, at 1:15