Tim Johnson (Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com) finally got that elusive win on Sunday at the finale to the three-race Jingle Cross Rock weekend — and he got it aboard a disc-brake-equipped bike.
“On top of Tim Johnson’s big win today, it’s a big win for disc brakes! Today was as good as any for them to shine!” his team exclaimed via Twitter.Forty-six seconds after Johnson took the win in 1:01:19, teammate Jamey Driscoll — who won Friday’s Jingle Cross kickoff in Iowa City, Iowa — rolled in for second, giving Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com a one-two finish to take home.
U.S. national champion Todd Wells (Specialized), who stood atop Saturday’s podium, had to settle for the bottom step on Sunday, hitting the line third at 1:03.
Johnson said afterward that his prototype Cannondale, unveiled earlier this season at the UCI cyclocrosses in Colorado, performed “great” on the muddy Johnson County Fairgrounds course.
“Stoked to ride it,” he added. “Happy they made ‘em in my size. No issues with mud in braking surfaces and good modulation on the hard DH.”
In women’s racing, Meredith Miller (California Giant-Specialized) claimed her second victory of the weekend. After winning on Friday, then finishing second to teammate Teal Stetson-Lee on Saturday, Miller was back on top Sunday, taking the win in 42:45.
Maureen Bruno-Roy (Bob’s Red Mill-Seven Cycles) finished a close second, just nine seconds down, while Julie Krasniak (Rapha-Focus) took third at 0:23. Stetson-Lee had to settle for fifth on the day, behind Amanda Carey (Kenda-Felt).
- 1. Timothy Johnson (USA), Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com, 1:01:19
- 2. James Driscoll (USA), Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com, at 0:46
- 3. Todd Wells (USA), Specialized, at 1:03
- 4. Ben Berden (BEL), Ops-Ale Clement, at 1:30
- 5. Christopher Jones (USA), Rapha-Focus, at 1:33
- 1. Meredith Miller (USA), California Giant-Specialized, 42:45
- 2. Maureen Bruno-Roy (USA), Bob’s Red Mill-Seven Cycles, at 0:09
- 3. Julie Krasniak (FRA), Rapha-Focus, at 0:23
- 4. Amanda Carey (USA), Kenda-Felt, at 0:51
- 5. Teal Stetson-Lee (USA), California Giant-Specialized, at 1:17