Menu

Valverde: We’re going to take it to them all the way to Nice

  • By Andrew Hood
  • Published Mar. 6, 2012
  • Updated Mar. 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM EDT
Valverde barely overtakes Simon Gerrans on stage 3 of Paris-Nice. Photo: Graham Watson | www.grahamwatson.com

Race results

Complete coverage of the 2012 Paris-Nice

LE LAC DE VASSIVIÈRE, France (VN) — Bradley Wiggins (Sky) called the 2012 Paris-Nice a three-horse race after Monday’s wind-swept stage that blew apart the peloton.

Wiggins, who defended his yellow jersey in Tuesday’s hilly third stage into the Haute-Vienne, named Levi Leipheimer (Omega Lotto-Quick Step) and Tejay van Garderen (BMC Racing) as his most dangerous rivals.

One name the Brit seemed to have overlooked was Alejandro Valverde. The Movistar captain dashed to his fourth win of the year Tuesday up a short, but steep third-category climb against Simon Gerrans (GreenEdge) — just the kind of finish that Valverde used to win with ease.

With a 10-second time bonus, Valverde trimmed the difference to Wiggins to just 20 seconds. With the climbing stage to Mende on tap Friday and the uphill time trial on Col d’Eze to decide everything on Sunday, Valverde is a major threat for the GC.

“To beat Wiggins will be difficult, but we’re going to try,” said Valverde, who climbed into sixth overall. “Yesterday was very important to make the front group and today was important to win the stage. Step-by-step, now we can see if we can win in Nice.”

Back from his controversial doping ban for links to the Operación Puerto scandal dating back to 2006, Valverde seems to be right back at his former level.

Valverde won in his first race back, taking a stage up Old Willunga Hill in a duel against Gerrans at the Tour Down Under. He claimed his first GC win after taking a stage and the overall at the Ruta del Sol last month.

The Spanish rider said his win Tuesday is the most important so far.

“To win at a race as prestigious as Paris-Nice means a lot,” Valverde said. “This is the most important race since I came back from my stop and to win here is significant.”

When asked by VeloNews.com if his string of victories in the opening weeks of his comeback was a surprise, Valverde said no.

“It’s a surprise, but also not a surprise,” he said. “I won the last race before I was forced to stop (the 2010 Tour de Romandie) and I won again in the first race when I came back. There are no secrets. I did my work during my ban. I stayed fit. Now we’ll see what happens in the coming months.”

When Valverde speaks of his “stop,” he is, of course, referring to his two-year racing ban handed down by the Court of Arbitration for Sport after Italian officials linked blood samples taken during the 2008 Tour de France to blood bags found as part of the Puerto raids in 2006.

A long legal battle ended in 2010, with Valverde banned for the 2010-11 seasons.

Valverde has never publicly fully explained how those blood samples might have found their way into the offices of Puerto ring-leader Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes, saying simply: “I served my ban and it’s over now. I only want to look forward and race my bike.”

He did admit that he is relieved the whole business is behind him.

“It’s a tremendous weight off my shoulders,” he said. “I was winning before (during the period he was fighting the doping allegations), but I couldn’t fully enjoy the bike. Now I am back and I am winning again just like before and I can take more satisfaction for the these victories.”

Next Page »Pages: 1 2

FILED UNDER: News / Road TAGS: /

Andrew Hood

Andrew Hood

Andrew Hood cut his journalistic teeth at Colorado dailies before the web boom opened the door to European cycling in the mid-1990s. Hood has covered every Tour de France since 1996 and has been VeloNews' European correspondent since 2002.

Catch every stage of the Tour

Subscribe to the FREE VeloNews weekly newsletter