Marianne Vos (Rabobank) started her World Cup season with a win at the Rhonde van Drenthe. Today’s race was on a relatively flat course, with the exception of the Vam-berg climb, which has ramps of over 20 percent. The racers would, however, have to contend with cobbles at about the mid-point of the race, which resulted in a group of seven riders splintering off. The group included Vos and her teammate Sarah Düster, Judith Arndt and her GreenEdge teammate Loes Gunnewijk, Trixi Worrack (Specialized-lululemon), Kristen Wild (AA Drink-Leontien.nl), and Adrie Visser (Skil-1t4i).
The leaders were joined by a chase group, which increased the lead group to about 30 riders. Chantal Blaak (AA Drink-Leontien.nl) broke away from the group to open a 40-second gap. As the group approached the second climb of the VAM, however, the chasers, led by Rabobank, reeled her in. The chase decimated Vos’ team, and she found herself alone going into the final kilometers. As the race approached the finish, several leaders hit the deck on a slippery roundabout, which gave the rest of the group a small gap heading into the sprint finish, which Vos took by three bike lengths over Kristen Wild and Emma Johansson (Hi-Tec Products-Mistrel Home).
1. Marianne Vos (Ned) Rabobank, 3:32:01
2. Kirsten Wild (Ned) AA Drink-Leontien.nl, s.t.
3. Emma Johansson (Swe) Hitec-Mistral, s.t.
4. Giorgia Bronzini (Ita) Diadora Pasta Zara, s.t.
5. Trixi Worrack (Ger) Specialized-lululemon, s.t.
6. Adrie Visser (Ned) Skil-1t4i, s.t.
7. Martine Bras (Ned) Dolmans-Boels, s.t.
8. Monia Baccaille (Ita) MCipollini-Giambenini, s.t.
9. Loes Gunnewijk (Ned) GreenEdge-AIS, s.t.
10. Pauline Ferrand-Prévot (Fra) Rabobank, s.t.