John Degenkolb (Argos-Shimano) continues to put his stamp on the Four Days of Dunkirk – he won again in today’s stage 2, after taking the opening stage yesterday.
The German jumped in when Jérôme Pineau (Omega Pharma-Quick Step) started his final leadout for teammate Zdenek Stybar on the wet, cobbled home stretch of the 180km run from Berck-sur-Mer to Montreuil-sur-Mer. He then bolted past both riders in the last meters for a decisive win.
Stybar took second with the Frenchman holding on to third.
Degenkolb also holds onto the overall leader’s jersey going into tomorrow’s stage 3 in Belgium, 14 seconds ahead of Italy’s Danilo Napolitano (Acqua-Sapone) and 15 ahead of the Frenchman Pierrick Fedrigo (FDJ-BigMat)
Brief results >>
- 1. John DEGENKOLB, Argos-Shimano in 4:26:46
- 2. Zdenek STYBAR , Omega Pharma-Quick Step at s.t.
- 3. Jérôme PINEAU , Omega Pharma-Quick Step at s.t.
- 4. Nacer BOUHANNI , FDJ-Big Mat at s.t.
- 5. Lloyd MONDORY , Ag2r-La Mondiale at s.t.
- 1. John DEGENKOLB in 8:28:11
- 2. Danilo NAPOLITANO, Acqua & Sapone +14
- 3. Pierrick FEDRIGO, FDJ-Big Mat +15
- 4. Jérôme PINEAU, Omega Pharma-Quick Step +17
- 5. Zdenek STYBAR, Omega Pharma-Quick Step +17