DUNKIRK, France (AFP) – John Degenkolb (Argos-Shimano) won the first stage of the Four Days of Dunkirk cycle race in northern France on Friday.
The German prevailed in a sprint finish after the 121.3 kilometer run from Dunkirk to Coquelles – beating out Danilo Napolitano (Acqua Scapone) and Pierrick Fedrigo (FDJ-Big Mat) to immediately take the race leader’s pink jersey.
The race also saw the return of Saxo Bank’s Nick Nuyens who broke his hip in a hard crash during Paris-Nice two months ago.
The tour continues tomorrow with a 180.2 kilometer stage from Berck sur Mer to Montreuil sur Mer
1. John DEGENKOLB, Argos-Shimano in 4:01:45
2. Danilo NAPOLITANO, Acqua-Sapone
3. Pierrick FEDRIGO, FDJ-Big Mat
4. Thomas VOECKLER, Europcar
5. Julien GUAY, Roubaix-Lille Metropole