- Whole Roasted Chicken. Photo: Jeanine Thurston/Fototails Photography
- Beet Juice. Photo: Jeanine Thurston/Fototails Photography
- Allen Lim's Rice Cakes. Photo: Jeanine Thurston/Fototails Photography
- Biju's Oatmeal. Photo: Jeanine Thurston/Fototails Photography
- Sweet Potato and Egg Burrito. Photo: Jeanine Thurston/Fototails Photography
- Muesli. Photo: Jeanine Thurston/Fototails Photography
- Chicken Fried Rice. Photo: Jeanine Thurston/Fototails Photography
Editor’s Note: During the Amgen Tour of California, VeloNews.com will present The Feed Zone Service Course, the official daily race menu of Levi Leipheimer’s Omega Pharma-Quick Step team, courtesy of Dr. Allen Lim, chef Biju Thomas and Skratch Labs.
Stage 3 — Tuesday May 15
Biju’s Oatmeal with Toasted Nut Mix
Pasta and Eggs
Mixed Berries and Fruit with Yogurt
Soft Scrambled Eggs with Fresh Herbs
Allen Lim’s Rice Cakes
Sweet Potato and Egg Burrito
Chicken Fried Rice
Whole Roasted Chicken
Pasta with Olive Oil and Parmesan
Fresh Fruit and Yogurt with Toasted Nut Mix
Whole Roasted Chicken
Servings > 4
Time> 15 minutes prep, cook 90 minutes
Of course, you can easily and affordably purchase rotisserie chicken at your local market, but there’s something special about roasting your own. And the leftovers are great when used in other recipes.
1 whole roasting chicken (about 6 pounds)
¼ cup olive oil, divided use
1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
1 onion, cut into large chunks
4–6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
large chunks of potatoes, beets, parsnips, and/or turnips
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees and move racks if needed to accommodate a large roasting pan.
2. Brush chicken with some of the olive oil, then coat thoroughly with coarse salt and pepper. Place chicken, breast up, in a deep roasting pan.
3. In a bowl, combine carrots, onions, garlic, and parsley (and any optional ingredients). Add remaining olive oil to coat all surfaces, along with coarse salt and pepper to taste. Transfer vegetables to the pan alongside the chicken. Wrap in foil and let cook 1 hour.
4. Remove foil and stir vegetables. Baste (spoon the rendered fat from the bottom of the pan over the chicken). Replace foil and let cook 20 minutes.
5. Remove foil; baste. Continue to roast, uncovered, in oven until chicken has cooked thoroughly, about 90 minutes in total. Juices will run clear, outside skin will be nicely crisp, and the chicken will be tender to the touch.
Let chicken cool before cutting or taking apart.
PER SERVING> Energy 324 cal • Fat 19 g • Sodium 179 mg • Carbs 8 g • Fiber 2 g • Protein 31 g
This recipe used with permission from “The Feed Zone Cookbook”