Menu

Schleck delays return with shooting pain

  • By VeloNews.com
  • Published Sep. 5, 2012
Andy Schleck had hoped to return to racing at the USA Pro Challenge, but pain from a pelvic injury still makes long rides impossible. Photo: John Thys | AFP

Andy Schleck’s racing hiatus will continue after the Luxembourger withdrew today from the GP Fourmies, set to take place on Sunday. Schleck said in a release from his RadioShack-Nissan team that he continued to experience pain from his fractured pelvis.

“The shooting pain when I go on longer rides can still not be denied. It starts from the hip and it moves down to the leg,” said Schleck. “It makes no sense to appear at races where I might not be able to even reach the finish line.”

Schleck said he hoped to return at some point in 2012, but does not want to jeopardize his 2013 season.

“I’m very disappointed that I couldn’t show anything so far this year,” he said. “This has been a dreadful season for me and I desperately want to put it behind me. I still hope to return to racing before the season ends.”

Runner-up at the 2011 Tour de France, Schleck suffered through a down year in 2012, lacking any results of note before he crashed hard in the time trial at the Critérium du Dauphiné in June. In that crash, Schleck suffered a fracture to his pelvis that forced his withdrawal from the Tour de France. According to the release, Schleck does not have a date for his return to racing.

FILED UNDER: News / Road TAGS:

Stay Up to Date on Everything Cycling

Subscribe to the FREE VeloNews newsletter