Menu

Schleck: Drunken episode is the past, targeting Liege, Tour de France

  • By VeloNews.com
  • Published Mar. 19, 2013
Andy Schleck brushed off questions over his recent drunken incident and said he is still targeting Liège–Bastogne–Liège, Tour de France. Photo: Graham Watson | www.grahamwatson.com

PARIS (AFP) — Andy Schleck (RadioShack-Leopard) said on Tuesday that he continues to target Liège-Bastogne-Liège and the Tour de France, despite a rocky start to his 2013 campaign.

“I’m optimistic. I work very hard and I’ve never worked this hard since January 1. I have not slept six nights at home and I was in training camps or races,” Schleck told RTL-TV.

Schleck’s 2012 season was marred by a fractured sacrum suffered in a crash at the Critérium du Dauphiné in June. He has since abandoned nearly every race he has started, including, most recently, Tirreno-Adriatico. Last week a French politician implied in a post to a social network that he had seen the Luxembourger drunk and alone in a hotel elevator.

“These stories from Munich are really irrelevant. For me, it is already the past and I have nothing more to say,” said Schleck. “Of course I expected better. … I thought I would be well this winter and I was fine in December to train with the team in Spain. But my injury still bothered me long and I have not been able work as I wanted.”

Schleck will start this weekend’s Criterium International in Corsica, France, where the 100th Tour de France will open in late June.

“I continue to work,” he said. “I know people who believe in me and will continue to believe in me. But I hope it will get better in the future. … My goals are always the same: the classics with Liège and the Tour de France.”

FILED UNDER: News / Road TAGS:

Get our best cycling content delivered to your inbox

Subscribe to the FREE VeloNews weekly newsletter